KATSEYE’s Manon Seemingly Hints at Racism Behind Hiatus
Global girl group KATSEYE is facing growing controversy after member Manon Bannerman announced a temporary hiatus. The situation intensified when she liked a social media post recently. The post suggested her break was connected to online racism and mistreatment by her label, HYBE and Geffen Records.
The issue began on February 20, when HYBE and Geffen Records released an official statement saying Manon would take a “temporary hiatus” to focus on her “health and wellbeing.” The companies said the decision came after “open and thoughtful conversations” with all six members and confirmed that the group would continue scheduled activities without her.
However, confusion quickly followed when Manon addressed fans directly on Weverse. Her message did not fully align with the company’s explanation. She reassured fans by saying, “I’m healthy, I’m okay, and I’m taking care of myself,” and added, “Sometimes things unfold in ways we don’t fully control, but I’m trusting the bigger picture.”
Her words led many fans to question whether health was truly the main reason behind her hiatus.
The situation escalated further when Manon reportedly liked posts online. These posts claimed her break was connected to ongoing racism and being sidelined by her own label. This made fans believe that her hiatus was linked to unfair treatment.
They mentioned her absence from a Glossier billboard celebration, her exclusion from a performance video for the song “Gabriela”, which the agency said was due to an injury. Plus, she got limited screen time in a collaboration video with Monster High, even though she was present at the shoot.
Some fans have compared her situation to other Black artists in the industry, including Normani from Fifth Harmony and Leigh-Anne Pinnock from Little Mix. They all have also spoken about facing unequal treatment in the past.
Tensions were also reignited by an earlier controversy involving an official KATSEYE fan quiz that listed “lazy” and “selfish” as options to describe Manon’s best quality. She had previously shared that she found those labels hurtful and unfair.
The backlash grew even stronger after a comment made by Rafael Avanzini, the father of fellow member Daniela. Under a viral video discussing Manon’s hiatus, he wrote, “THE SHOW MUST GO ON! With or without a member,” adding, “KATSEYE IS BIGGER THAN ONE GIRL.” Even though the comment was deleted later, many KATSEYE fans considered it insensitive. Some felt it supported their belief that Manon may have been dealing with a difficult environment behind the scenes.
As of now, HYBE and Geffen Records have not released any additional statements addressing the allegations.

